I created this Hershey’s Flower way back in spring, but didn’t have time to create a tutorial until now. This is one of my more labor intensive Hershey’s projects, but its larger size, makes a more impressive show and therefore it could be given as a gift.
This project does not have time saver steps, but if you make the two templates, you will save yourself time. I definitely recommend Stampin’ Up! 12” x 12” card stock for this project as you will need it for the stem strength. For a complete supply list and a link to my store, please see the end of this tutorial.
Hershey’s Flower Tutorial
1. To make this flower easier to make, we will be making a template in steps 1-4 and a second template in steps 9-10. To make the template, start with a 12“ x 1” strip of scrap card stock. On the long side, make a HALF INCH SCORE MARK at the 2-¾” and 9-¼” marks. On the 6” mark make a HALF INCH SCORE MARK from the BOTTOM going up.
2. At the outer two score marks, cut along both sides of the score marks to create tiny slots 1/16” wide. At the 6” score mark, make the slot bigger, approximately 1/8” wide. The wider middle slot is needed to accommodate the junction of all 5 petals.
3. Then take your paper snips and cut away the tiny strips that remain.
4. This is what your template should look like when it’s done.
5. To make the flower, cut TWO strips of 12” x 1” So Saffron card stock.
6. Trace the slots from your template onto the TWO strips.
7. Cut along both sides of the pencil marks to create the slots. Then take your paper snips and cut away the tiny strips that remain.
8. Take both of the So Saffron slotted strips and line them up with the slots facing the same way. Bend one of the the ends of the strip furthest away from you around and fit it into the middle slot. Next bend the other end that is furthest away from you around and fit it into the middle slot. Finally bend the remaining two ends around into the middle slot. Note: Click on the photos to enlarge.
9. To make the fifth petal piece template, Cut a scrap piece of 8-¾ ” x 1” card stock. make a HALF INCH SCORE MARK At the 2-¾” and 6” marks.
10. At the score marks, cut along both sides of the score marks to create tiny slots 1/16” wide.
11. Trace your template onto a 8-¾ ” x 1” strip of So Saffron card stock and cut the slots.
12. Make a loop with the strip, making sure that the slots line up.
13. Insert the loop down the middle of the loops on the first piece (make sure two loops are on either side of this petal).
14. For the stem, piece cut a 12 x 1” strip of Pear Pizzazz card Stock. Use the template that you made in steps 1-4 to trace on the slots with a pencil. Then cut the slots as you did in previous steps.
15. Loop first one end of the strip and then the other into the middle slot.
16. Adhere the So Saffron stem pieces together. There will be five places for you to put adhesive to make sure the stem pieces stay together.
17. Put multipurpose glue along the middle of the Pear Pizzazz stem ends. Then sandwich the So Saffron stem inside the pear Pizzazz stem pieces.
18. Cut a piece of 5” x 4” Pretty in Pink card stock. On the 4” side, score at the 1”, 2” and 3” marks.
19. Also cut a piece of 2” x 4” Pear Pizzazz card stock. On the 2” side, score at the 1”, 2” and 3” marks.
20. On the 5” and 2” side respectively, cut the Pretty in Pink and Pear Pizzazz card stock, into one inch strips.
21. Fold all seven strips into triangles as shown.
22. Insert the triangles into each of the five petal and two leaf loops.
23. Place a piece of sticky strip on either side of the stem near the leaves.
24. Remove the sticky strip liner and adhere the leaves to the stem. Please Note: The sticky strip on the stem, helps keep the leaves in the upright position. You may have to wiggle or shift the bottom a little bit to get a flat enough surface for the flower to stay upright. The flower may be a little prone to tipping, but this is unavoidable due to the weight distribution of the kisses.
25. Carefully insert a Hershey’s kiss into each space. See also note in step 24.
26. Embellish as desired. I took an 8” piece of Taffeta and tied on a Vintage Faceted Button. I also made a tag by stamping the word "smiles" from the Polka-Dot Pieces Stamp Set and punched it out with a Little Label Punch.
Stampin’ Up Supplies
Shop Stampin’ Up! online anytime, just click HERE.
Thanks for visiting!! I love reading your comments!!