Meet the latest installment in my Hershey’s favors: the Hershey’s graduation cap. This unassuming graduation cap hides a secret underneath… six Hershey’s kisses. Make the tassel in your school colors or add a message or name to the top to personalize the graduation caps and everyone will be amazed at your creativity. If you would like to make many of these make sure you check out my time saver steps and supply list at the end of the tutorial. PS: If you make these according to my instructions the kisses should be secure enough not to budge when handled. :)
I would like to dedicate these Hershey’s graduation caps to my niece Stephanie, who will be graduating from high school very soon. Congratulations Stephanie!
Hershey’s Graduation Cap Tutorial
1. Start with a 7” x 1-½” piece of Basic Black card stock. On the long side, score at 1”, 2-1/8”, 3-¼”, 4-¼”, 5-3/8” and 6-½”. Note: Stampin Up! sells top quality black card stock in packs of 24 sheets for $6.95 that will make your graduation caps sturdy and give them a professional look.
2. On the short side, score at the 1” mark.
3. On the long side put a length of sticky strip along the the 1/2" wide scored segments. Also, cut off the end square
4. On the long side, cut through the sticky strip to create six half-inch tabs along the strip (see the blue lines for where to cut).
5. Fold the strip along the score lines.
6. Squeeze some multipurpose liquid glue onto the tab end.
7. Bring the ends of the piece together to form a hexagon. Make sure you hold the tab down for a few seconds so that the glue can seal the card stock fibers together. Set aside.
8. Cut a 7” x 2” piece of Summer Starfruit card stock. On the 7” side, score at all the inch marks (1”, 2”, 3” etc.).
9. On the 2” side, cut at the 1” mark.
10. Fold both strips into triangles as shown.
11. Pop the strips into the hexagon. Note: Each strip takes up half of the hexagon.
12. Place the kisses into the hexagon. Note: It is important that you place the kisses into the hexagon before attaching it to the top square piece. The hexagon might get misshapen causing the kisses not to fit properly if attached afterwards.
13. Cut a 3-½” square of black card stock. Find the center of the card stock and pierce a hole there. Note: If you would like to stamp or emboss a message on this flat piece you should do it now. I embossed “go confidently in the direction of your dreams” in black embossing powder during this step.
14. Place a black glimmer brad through the hole.
15. Remove the sticky strip liners from the hexagon piece and attach it to the back side of the square as shown.
16. To make the tassel, cut a 2-¼” x 1-½” piece of Summer Starfruit Card Stock. On the short side, score at the 1” mark.
17. Cut a 1” fringe along the long side as shown stopping each cut when you reach the score line.
18. Cut a 5” length of white baker’s twine. Dye your twine with a sponge dauber and the Summer Starfruit ink pad.
19. Place sticky strip along the long side of the card stock.
20. Remove the sticky strip liner. Put both ends of the Baker’s twine on one end of the tassel piece making sure it adheres to the sticky strip.
21. Roll up the tassel.
22. Attach the tassel by sliding the twine over the glimmer brad.
Time Saver Steps
Stampin’ Up! Supplies:
Shop Stampin’ Up! online anytime, just click HERE.
Thanks for visiting!! I love reading your comments!!